What are the dimensions of the Mercedes L407D (1967-1986)?
I'm working on my own panel van conversion, and I found that It's pretty hard to find the dimensions of just about any van. It's all over the place. That's why I've created this article. Why not help others that are doing something similar?
This page will be helpful when you're converting a van into a camper van, or when you're planning the layout for your new corporate van.
- The interior dimensions (length) of the Mercedes L407D cargo space is 3080mm (L1), and 4025mm (L2).
- The interior width of the Mercedes L407D is 1855mm and the exterior width is 2100mm.
- The interior height of the Mercedes L407D is 1750mm (H1), and 1905mm (H2).
- The wheelbase lengths are 2950mm (SWB), and 3500mm (MWB).
- The width between the wheel arches on this model is 1490mm.
- The interior dimensions (length) of the Mercedes L407D cargo space is 121.3" (L1), and 158.5" (L2).
- The interior width of the Mercedes L407D is 73" and the exterior width is 82.7".
- The interior height of the Mercedes L407D is 68.9" (H1), and 75" (H2).
- The wheelbase lengths are 116.1" (SWB), and 137.8" (MWB).
- The width between the wheel arches on this model is 58.7".
First, more on the 407
The 407 is the predecessor to the later Sprinter and is known for its reliable OM617 engine. Supposedly one of the best diesel engines ever made.
Dimensions in tables
Outside dimensions of the L407D:
|Exterior length (mm)||5043||5993||2100|
|Exterior length (inch)||198.5||235.9||82.7|
All models of the Mercedes L407D have the same interior and exterior width: 73" or 1855mm (interior); and 82.7" or 2100mm (exterior).
Interior dimensions of the L407D:
|Interior length (mm)||3080||4025||1855|
|Interior length (inch)||121.3||158.5||73|
Maximum floor surface:
|Max. floor area||L1||L2|
|Square meters (m2)||5.7||7.5|
|Square feet (ft2)||61.5||80.4|
Please note that this is an indication and does not take into account the wheel arches.
The width between the wheel arches on this model is 1490mm, or 58.7".
Mercedes L407D roof height:
|Roof in millimeters||H1||H2|
|Interior height (mm)||1750||1905|
|Exterior height (mm)||2550||2705|
|Roof in inches||H1||H2|
|Interior height (inch)||68.9||75|
|Exterior height (inch)||100.4||106.5|
|Wheelbase||short (SWB)||medium (MWB)|
|Wheelbase length (mm)||2950||3500|
|Wheelbase length (inch)||116||138|
|Door width (mm)||1660|
|Door height (mm)||1580|
|Door width (inch)||65.4|
|Door height (inch)||62.2|
More Info on Dimensions
If you want to know...
- why there's a difference in exterior and interior width
- what L1 or H3 means
- how to read measurements
- or why dimensions matter
... I encourage you to read my post on how to understand van dimensions.
Can you stand up in a Mercedes Mercedes L407D?
Standing up in an empty van
The interior roof height of a Mercedes L407D is
1750mm (H1) - 1905mm (H2) .
If you are of medium height (178cm or 5"10') you can't stand up in a Mercedes L407D H1. But you can stand up in a Mercedes L407D H2 and up.
What happens if I insulate the van?
Are you planning on insulating and cladding the floor and roof? In that case you can't stand up fully in a L407D H1. But you would still be able to stand up in a H2 model and up.
What's a Mercedes L407D high top?
Mercedes provides their Mercedes L407Ds with both high and low tops. High tops are elevated roofs to provide more headroom. Generally, everything above H2 is considered a high top, and should offer sufficient space to stand up fully.
Did you find the answer to your specific question?
👍 8 👎 0