What are the dimensions of the Mercedes L614D (1996-2006)?
I'm working on my own panel van conversion, and I found that It's pretty hard to find the dimensions of just about any van. It's all over the place. That's why I've created this article. Why not help others that are doing something similar?
This page will be helpful when you're converting a van into a camper van, or when you're planning the layout for your new corporate van.'
- The interior dimensions (length) of the Mercedes L614D cargo space is 5450mm (L1), 6330mm (L2), and 7210mm (L3).
- The interior width of the Vario is 1900mm and the exterior width is 2200mm.
- The interior height of the Mercedes L614D is 1780mm (H1), and 1930mm (H2).
- The wheelbase lengths are 3150mm (SWB), 3700mm (MWB), and 4250mm (LWB).
- The width between the wheel arches on this model is 1040mm.
- The interior dimensions (length) of the Mercedes L614D cargo space is 214.6" (L1), 249.2" (L2), and 283.9" (L3).
- The interior width of the Vario is 74.8" and the exterior width is 86.6".
- The interior height of the Mercedes L614D is 70.1" (H1), and 76" (H2).
- The wheelbase lengths are 124" (SWB), 145.7" (MWB), and 167.3" (LWB).
- The width between the wheel arches on this model is 40.9".
Prefer tables? So do I. Click the button (scrolls down), or read on:
First, more on the Vario
The Vario is a so-called 'heavy van', meaning it's a full sized commercial vehicle with a maximum payload of 5600kg. It's the successor of the T2. The Vario is sometimes called the T3.
Dimensions in tables
Outside dimensions of the L614D:
|Exterior length (mm)||3170||4050||4930||2200|
|Exterior length (inch)||124.8||159.4||194.1||86.6|
All models of the Mercedes L614D have the same interior and exterior width: 74.8" or 1900mm (interior); and 86.6" or 2200mm (exterior).
Interior dimensions of the L614D:
|Interior length (mm)||5450||6330||7210||1900|
|Interior length (inch)||214.6||249.2||283.9||74.8|
Maximum floor surface:
|Max. floor area||L1||L2||L3|
|Square meters (m2)||10.4||12||13.7|
|Square feet (ft2)||111.5||129.5||147.5|
Please note that this is an indication and does not take into account the wheel arches.
The width between the wheel arches on this model is 1040mm, or 40.9".
Mercedes L614D roof height:
|Roof in millimeters||H1||H2|
|Interior height (mm)||1780||1930|
|Exterior height (mm)||2680||2830|
|Roof in inches||H1||H2|
|Interior height (inch)||70.1||76|
|Exterior height (inch)||105.5||111.4|
|Wheelbase||short (SWB)||medium (MWB)||long (LWB)|
|Wheelbase length (mm)||3150||3700||4250|
|Wheelbase length (inch)||124||146||167|
|Doors||Side door||Rear door|
|Door width (mm)||1100||1650|
|Door height (mm)||1630||1630|
|Side door||Rear door|
|Door width (inch)||43.3||65|
|Door height (inch)||64.2||64.2|
More Info on Dimensions
If you want to know...
- why there's a difference in exterior and interior width
- what L1 or H3 means
- how to read measurements
- or why dimensions matter
... I encourage you to read my post on how to understand van dimensions.
Can you stand up in a Mercedes Vario?
Standing up in an empty van
The interior roof height of a Mercedes L614D is
1780mm (H1) - 1930mm (H2) .
If you are of medium height (178cm or 5"10') you But you can stand up in a Mercedes L614D H2 and up.
What happens if I insulate the van?
Are you planning on insulating and cladding the floor and roof? In that case you can't stand up fully in a L614D H1. But you would still be able to stand up in a H2 model and up.
What's a Vario high top?
Mercedes provides their Varios with both high and low tops. High tops are elevated roofs to provide more headroom. Generally, everything above H2 is considered a high top, and should offer sufficient space to stand up fully.
Did you find the answer to your specific question?
👍 1 👎 1
About Van Dimensions
Hi, I'm Jim Belt and I own a 1974 Mercedes L508D. I love old vans, especially MBs - and I plan to live in one.about me